A good chicken recipe for budding to get stuck into. Learn to make a tasty BBQ marinade which can be used on other meats
For the bbq chicken
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp clear honey
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
1 tsp Cajun seasoning
8 chicken drumstick, preferably organic
For the coleslaw
¼ white cabbage
1 small red onion
1 red-skinned apple
1 large carrot
2 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
heaped tbsp Greek yogurt
1 tsp wholegrain mustard
1. Mix the BBQ sauce: Open out the freezer bag, then spoon in the ketchup, honey, chilli sauce, soy sauce, oil, vinegar and spice. Close the bag and squidge the ingredients together to mix them.
2. Add the chicken: Make 2 or 3 deep cuts in the meaty part of the drumsticks with a sharp knife (this helps them take on lots of flavour from the sauce). Put the chicken in the bag with the sauce and tie shut. Wash your hands. Squidge everything together again so all the drumsticks are well coated. Leave out for 1 hr, or in the fridge overnight, to marinate.
3. Prepare the veg: Thinly slice the cabbage on a clean chopping board with a clean, sharp knife, then put it in the mixing bowl. Now prepare the other vegetables, adding them to the bowl as you finish preparing them. Peel the onion and finely chop. Thinly slice the celery stick.
4. Grate the apple and carrot: Take the apple (keep it whole and with the skin on) and grate up to the core. Turn the apple a quarter turn and grate again. Repeat until you are left with just the core. Be careful not to grate your knuckles. Peel, then cut the stalk end off the carrot. Grate the carrot and add to the bowl.
5. Cook the chicken: Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Tip the chicken and sauce into a large roasting tin and space the drumsticks apart. Carefully put the roasting tin in the oven using oven gloves, then set the timer for 20 mins. When the time is up, carefully take the chicken from the oven. Brush the chicken with the glaze in the roasting tin, then return to the oven for 15 mins more.
6. Mix the coleslaw: While the chicken is cooking, mix the veg together with clean hands or a spoon. Add the mayonnaise, yogurt and mustard into the vegetables, then season with salt and pepper. Stir well. When the chicken is cooked through and golden, serve with the coleslaw.