What's for dinner? Chicken cooked in a yummy Italian tomato sauce.
- 3- to 3 1/2-lb cut-up whole chicken
- cup all-purpose flour
- cup vegetable oil
- medium green bell pepper
- medium onions
- can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- cup sliced fresh mushrooms (3 oz)
- 1 1/2
- teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- teaspoon salt
- cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
- 1 Coat chicken with flour. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in oil 15 to 20 minutes or until brown on all sides; drain.
- 2 Cut bell pepper and onions crosswise in half; cut each half into fourths.
- 3 Stir bell pepper, onions and remaining ingredients except cheese into chicken in skillet. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 30 to 40 minutes or until juice of chicken is clear when thickest part is cut to bone (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs and legs). Serve with cheese.