You've heard about brined turkey, now give it a try. This turkey breast is flavorful, moist and delicious!
- cups water
- cup salt
- cup sugar
- bone-in whole turkey breast (4 to 6 pounds), thawed if frozen
- onion, cut into eighths
- fresh rosemary sprigs
- fresh thyme sprigs
- dried bay leaves
- tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- cup dry white wine or Progresso chicken broth (from 32-oz carton)
- 1 In 6-quart container or stockpot, mix water, salt and sugar; stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Add turkey. Cover; refrigerate at least 12 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- 2 Heat oven to 325ºF. Remove turkey from brine, rinse thoroughly under cool running water and pat dry.
- 3 Place onion on center of rack in large shallow roasting pan; top with rosemary, thyme and bay leaves. Place turkey, skin side up, over onion and herbs.
- 4 In small bowl, mix butter and wine. Soak 16-inch square of cheesecloth in butter mixture until completely saturated; cover turkey completely with cheesecloth. Roast 1 hour 30 minutes.
- 5 Remove cheesecloth. Place onion and herbs in pan with drippings if using drippings to make gravy (or discard). Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of turkey and does not touch bone. Turn turkey skin side down. Roast 30 to 60 minutes longer or until thermometer reads 165ºF.