An Italian classic. Thanks to the slow cooker, Chicken Cacciatore can greet you warmly when you come home from work!
- cut-up whole chicken (3 to 3 1/2 lb), skin removed
- cup Gold Medal all-purpose flour
- tablespoons vegetable oil
- medium green bell pepper
- medium onions
- can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen organic diced tomatoes, undrained
- jar (4.5 oz) Green Giant sliced mushrooms, drained
- teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- teaspoon dried basil leaves
- teaspoon salt
- cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 Coat chicken with flour. In 12-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 15 to 20 minutes or until brown on all sides; drain.
- 2 Cut bell pepper and onions crosswise in half; cut each half into fourths.
- 3 In 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker, place half of the chicken pieces. Mix bell pepper, onions and remaining ingredients except cheese; spoon half of mixture over chicken. Add remaining chicken; top with remaining vegetable mixture.
- 4 Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 6 hours or until juice of chicken is clear when thickest piece is cut to bone (170°F for breasts; 180°F for thighs and legs). Serve with cheese.
Note: This recipe was tested in slow cookers with heating elements in the side and bottom of the cooker, not in cookers that stand only on a heated base. For slow cookers with just a heated base, follow the manufacturer’s directions for layering ingredients and choosing a temperature.