Classic beef- and rice-stuffed peppers are now easier to make than ever with some help from your slow cooker.
- large bell peppers
- 1 1/2
- lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- teaspoons olive oil
- cup finely chopped onion
- cloves finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2
- cups cooked white rice
- teaspoon kosher salt
- teaspoon black pepper
- can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 1/4
- cups shredded Cheddar cheese (5 oz)
- 1 Trim tops off bell peppers; remove ribs and seeds. Set aside.
- 2 Place beef in large bowl; set aside.
- 3 In 6-inch skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat; add chopped onion. Cook until onion softens, stirring every few minutes. Add garlic; cook 60 seconds. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 4 Add rice, salt and pepper to beef. Add cooked onion and garlic; mix to combine. Stuff peppers with beef mixture; arrange in slow cooker. Pour tomato sauce over peppers.
- 5 Cook on Low heat setting 6 hours; last 30 minutes of cooking, top peppers with cheese.