Garnish the ooh's and ahh's when you put this pretty roast chicken on the table, circled by roasted new potatoes drizzled with herbs and olive oil.
- tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as oregano, sage or rosemary) or 2 teaspoons dried herb leaves
- teaspoon salt
- teaspoon pepper
- tablespoons olive oil
- (3 1/2 to 4-lb.) whole roasting chicken
- 1 1/2
- to 2 lb. small red potatoes, unpeeled, halved
- 1 Heat oven to 450°F. In small bowl, combine herbs, salt, pepper and oil; mix well.
- 2 Place chicken, breast side down, in shallow roasting pan. Arrange potatoes around chicken in pan. Drizzle half of oil mixture over potatoes; stir to mix. Bake at 450°F. for 20 minutes.
- 3 Remove pan from oven. Spoon some of remaining oil mixture over chicken and potatoes; stir potatoes. Turn chicken breast side up. Return to oven; bake an additional 10 minutes.
- 4 Remove pan from oven. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Drizzle remaining oil mixture over chicken and potatoes; stir potatoes. Return to oven; bake an additional 40 to 50 minutes or until chicken is fork-tender and juices run clear, and potatoes are tender.